Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Fate Core: Magi pt 1

I love Mage: The Ascension. I have loved it from the first moment I laid eyes on it. I have one gripe with it, though. That being the system was utter crap. It focused on all the wrong things, it stated it was attempting one thing, and delivered another. I can ignore that, but it is bothersome.

Basically the game said it was about changing the world, when it was really about doing no such thing. You were supposed to be on the path of awakening(either yourself or others), yet there was no rules on that. no rules to change the world, no rules to deal with awakening. and there were loads of rules on getting in fights, lifting loads, climbing walls, and all that mundane stuff. Mundane stuff.

I love Feng Shui . I have loved it from the first moment I laid eyes on it. Actually I loved from an article I read about it, long before I ever saw it, but that is neither here nor there. It focused on the right things...and then it went far beyond that. It was about Hong Kong action movies and it had loads of rules about fighting and the like. It also had this really clever set of ideas in it. The idea that there were fixed locations in the time stream, and by controlling those points one could alter the flow of history. Also that there were some points that were far more important than others. This game should be on everyone's shelf. Its that good. Its that fun.

The Invisibles is so freakin' out there, that it is hard not to love. This comic is so full of rebellion and insanity that it must be read to be believed. I really love some of the thoughts in it and the imagery is so on the nose for things I like, that I must mention it.

I am not certain if anyone really likes Risk. I know there must be a lot of people who do, but I cannot fathom it. The game is very boring. One day when my brother was forcing me to play it I had this strange moment. Everything that had happened in the game bled together and formed this glorious gestalt. I could see the march of all the different colored troops as competing waves slamming into each other and flowing around each other. it was beautiful and very strange. Then I snapped out of it and proceeded to win. It took me hours, but there you are.

Now, why am I saying all of this? what is the point of all this rambling?

Since you asked, I will tell you. I want a game that does what I love in all four of those things. I think Fate Core can do that. I think I can do that with Fate Core. So I am going to try. Fresh off my Eternia Hack i am going to try. I am currently calling this project Magi, though it is possible that I will change the name by the end.

The world is at war. Not a war of might, or skill at arms. Nor is it a war of ideas. no, nothing so simple as that. We fight a war for the very nature of reality itself. We fight for what we believe in. For in the long run all we have is our beliefs, and even they can change. Fight the power, change the world. We are Magi. We are the Wise. We are not to be trifled with.

Or something like that.

Tomorrow: I begin working out some of the high level details of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment