Thursday, January 24, 2013

Issues in design today

I was working on my Magi hack for Fate Core and ran into an impasse. I think, maybe. Basically, I do not really know where to go from here. I dislike my rules for Nodes and Super Nodes, but I am unsure what to do about it. I want to change the way things work, but I know not how to do so.

I seek fire. I seek inspiration. I want this game to work, but as I move along in the design, I find myself questioning what exactly the players will do in my game? I think that is where the crux of my dilemma lies. If I could sort out what the player characters are supposed to do in the game(beyond the broad strokes obvious) then I could begin to focus the mechanics to what I want.

Or perhaps I am too close to the design process. I may just be unable to see what I am building for focus on the details. I may need to take a bit of a break from Magi. Though if that be the case, I fear I'll not return to it soon. I will be distracted by whatever projects that follow.

Maybe I should work on my fiction writing for a bit...I just don't know. We shall see what tomorrow brings I guess.

On that note I do have another side project I am planning with my friend Eliza. We plan on doing something like a weekly project where we discuss shows we have watched. We will be starting with Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and then move onto whatever we wish. It should be fun.

1 comment:

  1. I often find myself with the same problem when working on Apocalithic. I'm have an idea for how I want the world to be, but not the kind of conflicts I want to happen. What I've found works to get that "Fire" is to take a break and dive into some inspirational fiction.

    In the case of Magi, I think you may find some traction by turning the concept around a bit. What do nodes themselves want? How might they initiate their own conflicts?

    ReplyDelete